New on our website: Subscribe to Hostelling International’s Global Community of Travellers and receive monthly news about international travel, experiences and special offers! Say HI to our Newsletter… 🙂
The Austrian Youth Hostel Associations ÖJHV and ÖJHW stand for a non-profit and affordable accommodation offering high quality for groups, schools, backpackers, families and individuals in Austria. But our hostels are much more than a place for affordable overnights ...
We have now summarized this in our new mission statement under the motto
"non-profit, cosmopolitan, inclusive, social, sustainable"
Also this year the family holiday campaign of the public service union (GÖD) takes place in Velden Cap Wörth again.
70 Families will enjoy a few relaxing days in Cap Wörth with their impaired relatives. With the support of GÖD and the ÖBV, a new, additional children’s playground was opened in the Youth Hostel. GÖD Chairman and ÖGB Vice President Norbert Schnedl officially handed over the children’s playground to the OEJHV Carinthia.
Gratulation also to Hermann Schmid, the coordinator of the family campaign. He has been servicing families and their relatives for exactly 30 years this year.
Going to skiing school, travelling with your school mates, first time away from home, or travelling the first time with your backpack through Europe. This is what many people associate with the term Youth Hostel – as well as bunk beds, very spartan rooms, spaghetti and water every night, and so on and so forth.
Many believe they are leaving the target group of Youth Hostels when they reach the age of 30 and can close the chapter Youth Hostel experience. But that is not the case – the Youth Hostels have also changed with the times and offer far more comfort today than you think.
Granted, bunk beds are still to be found in the Youth Hostels and spaghetti are undoubtedly still on the menu, especially of course in groups of children, where Spaghetti Bolognese is undoubtedly a timeless classic. However, the comfort in the rooms meanwhile has become much larger. Even in so-called “dormitories” there are only smaller rooms with a maximum of six beds here in Austria, while there are often double and single rooms for booking. Of course, also without bunk beds. Even if you are traveling with the family, you can choose one of the family rooms for the next family vacation. The TV in the room is also no longer a foreign object in hostels – just ask. However, there is no need to ask that there is Wi-Fi for all in the Youth Hostels.
And the culinary art? The breakfast buffet has grown over the years and now offers a wide selection for the perfect start to the day – and at lunch and dinner, the kitchens of the hostels do not need to hide. For a reasonable price, guests can enjoy the freshly prepared and balanced meals. Of course, a vegetarian selection is also included.
All well and good: But where can you find the Youth Hostels? In Vienna, for example, you can admire one of the most modern Youth Hostels in Europe, where comfortable double rooms with TV and Wi-Fi are waiting throughout the house. Those who prefer to explore the most beautiful lakes in Austria, are well advised in the Youth Hostels in St. Gilgen or Cap Wörth. The hostel in St. Gilgen with its charming half-timbered house style directly on the beach of Lake Wolfgang is perfect for the next beach holiday, while the nearby hostels Bad Ischl and Mondsee serve as great starting points for the sporty exploration of the Salzkammergut.
Cap Wörth offers an exceptional location with its own private beach on the Wörthersee, generous green and sports areas, a unique barrier-free lake access and even its own indoor pool, while the Youth Hostels Klagenfurt and Villach also offer athletic sports with an attached climbing hall.
But these are only a few possibilities in Austria – the hostels of Austria are part of the non-profit network Hostelling International, which unites over 3.700 Youth Hostels worldwide. So many possibilities, the young at heart can use. If you’re still a bit sceptical, let me tell you that you can expect already made beds and fresh towels in the new comfort rooms – so the adventure of spending the first time as a grown-up in a Youth Hostel is on your way… the adventure Youth Hostel is waiting!
The Upper Austrian Youth Hostel Association OEJHV offers a non-profit and affordable overnight accommodation with high quality for groups, backpackers and families in St. Gilgen, Mondsee, Bad Ischl and Linz.
Below you find the brand new English Catalog 2019/2020:
QUERFELDEIN, the travel magazine for our members, will be realeased shortly as edition 1/2019 end of May.
- Venice: In the footsteps of Commissario Brunetti – Travel report by Stefan Veigl
- Krems and the Wachau: From wine to culture and student city – Travel report by Stefan Veigl
- With the bike through the Salzkammergut: Guest article by Maximilian Lichtenberger
- News/Stories from Carinthia: New lobby in Klagenfurt with café, new playground in Cap Wörth
- Art project: with children and young people in the youth hostel Neu Nagelberg
- Culinary journey: in the kitchens of this world in the 1200 Vienna Brigittenau
The Mondseeland region with ist picturesque landscape, clean lakes and various leisure time activities is the perfect place for family holidays. Water sports, hiking, mountainbiking and trips to the Salzkammergut sightseeing-highlights guarantee an exciting stay. Enjoy nature during a hiking tour or discover the small town of Mondsee with ist historical and cultural treasures.
- 3 or 6 nights incl. halfboard in a four bed room en suite
- programme 1 admission to the local museum, 2 admissions to the lido, 1 boat trip on Lake Mondsee, 1 Mondsee slow train tour
- local taxes, parking space according to availability, welcome package, Salzkammergut Erlebnis-Card for various discounts, 1 bottle of mineral water per room
- price adults: 3 nights from 137,- Euro 6 nights from 245,- Euro
- price children 5-14,9 years: 3 nights from 87,- Euro 6 nights from 159,- Euro
- price children until 4,9 years in their parents´room: free
- surfing or sailing trial lessons: 40,- Euro
- horse riding trial lesson: 20,- Euro
- valid from July until September 2019
Photo: © Christoph Sammer
Spend your family holidays at one of the most beautiful spots in the Salzkammergut region: at Lake Wolfgangsee. The romantic village of St. Gilgen and its nice youth hostel are ideal for a varied program.
One thing you should not miss is a boat trip to the picturesque villages of St. Wolfgang and Strobl. If you want to go hiking, take the cable car to the mountain of Zwoelferhorn with its beautiful trails in the alpine landscape.
A very interesting trip takes you to the salt mine of Hallein and the village of Celts nearby. Children will love to spend an afternoon in the indoor and outdoor playground of the Abarena.
- 3 or 6 nights including halfboard in a quad room with shower/toilet
- Local taxes, parking space, welcome package, a bottle of water per room, programme
- Programme one day ticket for the ship, one ride with the summer toboggan run, museum of international instruments
- Additional programme long stay admission to the saltmine of Hallein and the village of Celts (for children older than 4), admission to the Abarena-playground
- Prices adults 3 nights: from 134,- Euro 6 nights: from 267,- Euro
- Prices children 6-14,9 years 3 nights: from 84,- Euro 6 nights: from 176,- Euro
- Prices children 4-5,9 years 3 nights: from 62,- Euro 6 nights: from 133,- Euro
- Children 0-3,9 years free
- Valid from 28th of April to 27th of October 2019
5340 St. Gilgen
The Salzkammergut region offers beautiful landscape, sightseeing highlights and lots of sports and recreation facilities. Spend an exciting week at the comfortable youth hostel Bad Ischl.
Visit the Imperial Villa just opposite the hostel, enjoy the famous dessert “Kaiserschmarrn” in the Café Zauner, go hiking on the mountain of Katrin or relax in the Salzkammergut-Thermal-Spa.
- 3 or 6 nights incl. halfboard in a 4-bed-room en suite
- Programme 1 day admission to the Salzkammergut-Thermal-Spa, 1 admission to the Imperial Villa, a guided tour through the city, 1 ascent/descent on the mountain of Katrin
- Extra 5-Euro-voucher for the Café Zauner, Salzkammergut Card for various discounts
- Local taxes incl., parking space according to availability, welcome package
- Price adults: 3 nights: from 166,- Euro 6 nights: from 274,- Euro
- Price children 6-14,9 years: 3 nights: from 111,- Euro 6 nights: from 182,- Euro
- Price children 3-5,9 years: 3 nights: from 66,- Euro 6 nights: from 117,- Euro
- Children up to 2,9 years: free
- valid form 28th of April to 27th of October 2019
Am Rechensteg 5
4820 Bad Ischl
Art meets nature: Everyone can be an artist!
At the beginning of May a Youth Art Project took place in the Youth Hostel Neu Nagelberg in the Waldviertel. Children and youths from Herzogenburg and Zwentendorf could exchange abilities and knowledge about artistic design and many interesting works of art were created on the walls and doors of the hostel this weekend... In addition to artistic workshops, outdoor workshops and a classic campfire evening were also part of the program.
With friendly support of: “Eure Projekte”, an initiative of the Federal Chancellery I Kinderfreunde Niederösterreich I Verein EKIDS I Baumarkt Nadlinger
Photos: Christoph Sammer
Say HI to St. Gilgen:
We would like to introduce the team of the Youth Hostel St. Gilgen and we are looking forward to your next visit!
Say HI to Mondsee: We would like to introduce the team of the Youth Hostel Mondsee and we are looking forward to your next visit! Photos: Christoph Sammer
Now online: Current School Offers of Austrian Youth Hostels for 2019/2020 – Ski, nature and city trips are waiting for you and your students! More details
Sooooo beautiful is the spring! 🌸🌿
Here are some impressions of our Youth Hostel Neu Nagelberg. 🧡